- Experience. Even though nephrogenic systemic fibrosis is uncommon, Mayo Clinic doctors have the expertise and experience to diagnose and treat this disease. Radiologists at Mayo Clinic are skilled at finding alternatives to gadolinium-containing contrast agents in at-risk people needing imaging tests.
- Specialized care. Mayo Clinic's Division of Nephrology and Hypertension is one of the world's largest groups of practicing kidney specialists (nephrologists), focusing on both research and patient care.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for kidney disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., ranks among the Best Hospitals for kidney disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for kidney disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
June 16, 2016
- Kaewlai R, et al. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2012;199:W17.
- Galan A, et al. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. In: Treatment of Skin Disease: Comprehensive Therapeutic Strategies. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Limited; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Questions and answers on gadolinium-based contrast agents. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugSafetyNewsletter/ucm142889.htm. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. National Organization for Rare Disorders. http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/nephrogenic-systemic-fibrosis/. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Thomsen HS, et al. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis and gadolinium-based contrast media: Updated ESUR Contrast Medium Safety Committee guidelines. European Radiology. 2013;23:307.
- Ferri FF. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Miskulin D, et al. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis/nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy in advanced renal failure. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Leung N (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 15, 2016.
Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis