Nearsightedness (myopia) is a common vision condition in which you can see objects near to you clearly, but objects farther away are blurry.
Nearsightedness may develop gradually or rapidly, often worsening during childhood and adolescence. Nearsightedness tends to run in families.
A basic eye exam can confirm nearsightedness. You can easily correct the condition with eyeglasses or contact lenses. Another treatment option for nearsightedness is surgery.
Mar. 04, 2015
- Preferred practice patterns: Refractive errors and refractive surgery summary benchmark — 2014. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/summary-benchmark-detail/refractive-errors--surgery-summary-benchmark-octob. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Myopia (nearsightedness). American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/myopia.xml. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Refractive error. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye_disorders/refractive_error/overview_of_refractive_error.html. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Frequency of ocular examinations — 2009. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/clinical-statement/frequency-of-ocular-examinations--november-2009. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Mian SI. Visual impairment in adults: Refractive disorders and presbyopia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Opticians, dispensing. U.S. Department of Labor. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/print/opticians-dispensing.htm. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Eye health tips. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyehealthtips.asp. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Morgan IG, et al. Myopia. The Lancet. 2012;379:1739.
- Myopia (adult and pediatric). AskMayoExpert. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Refractive error. AskMayoExpert. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Nearsightedness. American Academy of Opthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/myopia-nearsightedness/index.cfm. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Surgery to improve your vision: PRK and LASIK. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2008.
- Myopia (Nearsightedness). American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/myopia?sso=y. Accessed Jan. 20, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.