Nasal polyps are soft, painless, noncancerous growths on the lining of your nasal passages or sinuses. They hang down like teardrops or grapes. They result from chronic inflammation due to asthma, recurring infection, allergies, drug sensitivity or certain immune disorders.
Small nasal polyps may not cause symptoms. Larger growths or groups of nasal polyps can block your nasal passages or lead to breathing problems, a lost sense of smell, and frequent infections.
Nasal polyps can affect anyone, but they're more common in adults. Medications can often shrink or eliminate nasal polyps, but surgery is sometimes needed to remove them. Even after successful treatment, nasal polyps often return.
Feb. 19, 2011
- Fried MP. Nasal polyps. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec08/ch091/ch091d.html. Accessed Nov. 12, 2010.
- Levine M. Nasal polyps. American rhinologic society. http://www.american-rhinologic.org/patientinfo.nasalpolyps.phtml. Accessed Nov. 10, 2010.
- Hamilos DL. Clinical manifestations, pathophysiology and diagnosis of chronic rhinosinusitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 10, 2010.
- Scadding GK, et al. BSACI guidelines for the management of rhinosinusitis and nasal polyposis. Clinical and Experimental Allergy. 2007;38:260.
- Antunes MB, et al. The role of local steroid injection for nasal polyposis. Current Asthma and Allergy Reports. 2010;10:175.
- Dykewicz MS, et al. Rhinitis and sinusitis. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2010;125(Suppl 2):S103.
- Wood AJ, et al. Pathogenesis and treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis. Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2010;86:359.
- Hamilos DL. Medical management of chronic rhinosinusitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 10, 2010.
- Tosun F, et al. Impact of endoscopic sinus surgery on sleep quality in patients with chronic nasal obstruction due to nasal polyposis. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2009;20:446.
- Citardi MJ. An introduction to nasal endoscopy. American Rhinologic Society. http://www.american-rhinologic.org/patientinfo.introendoscopy.phtml. Accessed Nov. 10, 2010.
- Dutton JM. Endoscopic sinus surgery. American Rhinologic Society. http://www.american-rhinologic.org/patientinfo.sinussurgery.phtml. Accessed Nov. 19, 2010.
- Li JT (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 23, 2010.
- Rabago D, et al. Nasal irrigation for chronic sinus symptoms in patients with allergic rhinitis, asthma, and nasal polyposis: A hypothesis generating study. Wisconsin Medical Journal. 2008;107:69.