ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Public misunderstanding of the condition
Narcolepsy may cause serious problems for you professionally and personally. Others might see you as lazy or lethargic. Your performance may suffer at school or work.
Interference with intimate relationships
Extreme sleepiness may cause low sex drive or impotence, and people with narcolepsy may even fall asleep while having sex. Intense feelings, such as anger or joy, can trigger some signs of narcolepsy such as cataplexy, causing affected people to withdraw from emotional interactions.
Sleep attacks may result in physical harm to people with narcolepsy. You're at increased risk of a car accident if you have an attack while driving. Your risk of cuts and burns is greater if you fall asleep while preparing food.
People with narcolepsy are more likely to be overweight. The weight gain may be related to medications, inactivity, binge eating, hypocretin deficiency or a combination of factors.
Sept. 01, 2015
- Ferri FF. Narcolepsy. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 10, 2015.
- Ropper AH, et al. Sleep and its abnormalities: Introduction. In: Adams & Victor's Principles of Neurology. 10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 10, 2015.
- Narcolepsy fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/narcolepsy/detail_narcolepsy.htm. Accessed Aug. 10, 2015.
- Scammell TE. Clinical features and diagnosis of narcolepsy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 10, 2015.
- Sheldon SH, et al. Narcolepsy. In: The Principles and Practice of Pediatric Sleep Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 10, 2015.
- Sodium oxybate. Micromedex 2.0 Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed Aug. 11, 2015.
- Scammell TE. Treatment of narcolepsy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 10, 2015.