Because the cause of narcissistic personality disorder is unknown, there's no known way to prevent the condition with any certainty. Getting treatment as soon as possible for childhood mental health problems may help. Family therapy may help families learn healthy ways to communicate or to cope with conflicts or emotional distress. Parents with personality disorders may benefit from parenting classes and guidance from therapists or social workers.
Nov. 04, 2011
- Narcissistic personality disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Sept. 21, 2011.
- Skodol AE, et al. Personality disorders. In: Hales RE, et al., eds. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Sept. 21, 2011.
- Ronningstam E. Narcissistic personality disorder: A clinical perspective. Journal of Psychiatric Practice. 2011;17:89.
- Ronningstam E. Narcissistic personality disorder: A current review. Current Psychiatry Report. 2010;12:68.
- Young JQ. Narcissistic personality disorder. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..00023-9&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&sid=1208587682&uniqId=283290371-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..00023-9--sc0010. Accessed Sept. 21, 2011.
- Janowsky D. Personality disorders. In: Ebert MH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Psychiatry. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3289431. Accessed Sept. 21, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.