Lifestyle and home remedies
Doctors often advise using certain self-care measures to help minimize MSA symptoms, such as:
- Take steps to raise your blood pressure. Add a little salt to the diet and drink more fluids. Salt and fluids can increase blood volume and raise your blood pressure. Drink coffee and other caffeinated fluids to raise your blood pressure.
- Elevate the head of your bed. Raising the head of your bed to about a 30-degree angle will minimize increases in blood pressure when you sleep. Get up slowly from a reclining position.
- Make dietary changes. Add more fiber to your diet in order to ease constipation. You may also benefit from over-the-counter laxatives. Eat small, low-carbohydrate meals.
- Avoid getting too hot. Stay in air-conditioned rooms on very hot days. Avoid excessive amounts of heat in the bathroom when bathing.
- Wear elastic support stockings up to your waist. This can help keep your blood pressure from dropping.