Multiple myeloma is a cancer of your plasma cells, a type of white blood cell present in your bone marrow. Plasma cells normally make proteins called antibodies to help you fight infections.
In multiple myeloma, a group of plasma cells (myeloma cells) becomes cancerous and multiplies, raising the number of plasma cells to a higher than normal level. Since these cells normally make proteins (antibodies), the level of abnormal proteins in your blood also may go up. Health problems caused by multiple myeloma can affect your bones, immune system, kidneys and red blood cell count.
If you have multiple myeloma but don't have symptoms, your doctor may just monitor your condition. If you're experiencing symptoms, a number of treatments are available to help control multiple myeloma.
Aug. 16, 2011
- Rajkumar SV, et al. Multiple myeloma and related disorders. In: Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06694-8..50114-7&isbn=978-0-443-06694-8&uniqId=265138448-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06694-8..50114-7--cesec26. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Mercier LR. Bone tumor, primary malignant.In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-056106&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Rajkumar SV. Clinical features, laboratory manifestations, and diagnosis of multiple myeloma. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Kyle RA, et al. Multiple myeloma. In: Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Rajkumar SV. Initial chemotherapy for patients with high risk multiple myeloma.http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Thalidomide. National Cancer Insitute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/druginfo/thalidomide. Accessed July 9, 2011
- Rajkumar SV. Initial chemotherapy for symptomatic multiple myeloma in patients who are not candidates for transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Rajkumar SV. Treatment of the complications of multiple myeloma. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Multiple myeloma: Lifestyle changes to consider during and after treatment. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/MultipleMyeloma/DetailedGuide/multiple-myeloma-after-lifestyle-changes. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Multiple myeloma: How about your emotional health? American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/MultipleMyeloma/DetailedGuide/multiple-myeloma-after-emotional-health. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Complementary and alternative methods for cancer management. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/complementary-and-alternative-methods-for-cancer-management. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Lu Weidong, et al. The value of acupuncture in cancer care. Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America. 2008;22:631.
- Rajkumar SV (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 25, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.