No alternative medicines have been found to treat multiple myeloma. But alternative medicine may help you cope with the side effects of myeloma and myeloma treatment.
Talk to your doctor about your options, such as:
- Relaxation techniques
Talk with your doctor before trying any of these techniques to make sure they don't pose any risks for you.
Sept. 11, 2014
- Lichtman MA, et al. Williams Hematology. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=69. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Multiple myeloma. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed
- Plasma cell neoplasms (including multiple myeloma) treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/myeloma/Patient. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Palumbo A, et al. International Myeloma Working Group consensus statement for the management, treatment and supportive care of patients with myeloma not eligible for standard autologous stem-cell transplantation. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2014;32:587.
- Kyprolis (prescribing information). South San Francisco, Calif.: Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2012. http://www.kyproslis.com. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Velcade (prescribing information). Cambridge, Mass.: Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2012. http://www.velcade.com. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Integrative medicine and complementary and alternative therapies as part of blood cancer care. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. http://www.lls.org/#/resourcecenter/freeeducationmaterials/treatment/integrativemedandcam. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 2, 2014.
- Russell SJ, et al. Remission of disseminated cancer after system oncolytic virotherapy. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2014;89:926.