Staph skin infections, including MRSA, generally start as small red bumps that resemble pimples, boils or spider bites. These can quickly turn into deep, painful abscesses that require surgical draining. Sometimes the bacteria remain confined to the skin. But they can also burrow deep into the body, causing potentially life-threatening infections in bones, joints, surgical wounds, the bloodstream, heart valves and lungs.
When to see a doctor
Keep an eye on minor skin problems — pimples, insect bites, cuts and scrapes — especially in children. If wounds become infected, see your doctor. Do not attempt to treat an MRSA infection yourself. You could worsen it or spread it to others.
Nov. 13, 2012
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/mrsa/index.html. Accessed July 17, 2012.
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/antimicrobialresistance/examples/mrsa/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine.7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=505. Accessed July 17, 2012.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed July 17, 2012.
- Understanding antimicrobial (drug) resistance. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/antimicrobialresistance/understanding/Pages/default.asp. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Anderson DJ. Epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Lowy FD. Treatment of invasive methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Harris A. Prevention and control of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 18, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.