Treatment depends on the severity of your symptoms. Your doctor will likely recommend trying conservative approaches first.
Arch supports and foot pads fit inside your shoe and help reduce pressure on the nerve. These can be purchased over-the-counter, or your doctor may prescribe a custom-made, individually designed shoe insert — molded to fit the exact contours of your foot.
Surgical and other procedures
If conservative treatments haven't helped, your doctor might suggest:
May 16, 2013
- Injections. Some people are helped by the injection of steroids into the painful area.
- Decompression surgery. In some cases, surgeons can relieve the pressure on the nerve by cutting nearby structures, such as the ligament that binds together some of the bones in the front of the foot.
- Removal of the nerve. Surgical removal of the growth may be necessary if other treatments fail to provide pain relief. Although surgery is usually successful, the procedure can result in permanent numbness in the affected toes.
- Thomas JL, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of forefoot disorders. Section 3. Morton's intermetatarsal neuroma. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2009;48:251.
- Imboden JB, et al. Current Rheumatology Diagnosis & Treatment. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=38. Accessed Feb. 20, 2013.
- Adams WR. Morton's neuroma. Clinics in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery. 2010; 27:535.
- Morton's neuroma. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00158. Accessed Feb. 20, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What treatment options are available for Morton neuroma? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Weller GG (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 26, 2013.
- Callahan LR. Overview of running injuries of the lower extremity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 20, 2013.
- Neuromas. American Podiatric Medical Association. http://www.apma.org/learn/FootHealth.cfm?ItemNumber=987. Accessed Feb. 20, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.