There's no proven way to prevent morning sickness. Before conception, however, it may help to take prenatal vitamins. Several older studies suggest that women who take multivitamins at the time of conception and during early pregnancy are less likely to experience severe morning sickness. The folic acid in prenatal vitamins also helps prevent neural tube defects, such as spina bifida.
Oct. 04, 2011
- Smith JA, et al. Treatment of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy (hyperemesis gravidarum and morning sickness). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 22, 2011.
- Hill CC, et al. Physiologic changes in pregnancy. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2008;88:391.
- Morning sickness. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp126.cfm. Accessed Aug. 24, 2011.
- You and your baby: Prenatal care, labor and delivery, and postpartum care. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/ab005.cfm. Accessed Aug. 24, 2011.
- Holst L, et al. The use and the user of herbal remedies during pregnancy. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2009;15:1.
- Goodwin TM. Hyperemesis gravidarum. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2008;35:401.
- Ginger. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Aug. 24, 2011.
- Acupressure. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Aug. 24, 2011.
- Mason MC. Pain relief to a point. Nursing Standard. 2008;22:22.
- Simon EP, et al. Medical hypnosis for hyperemesis gravidarum. Birth. 1999;26:248.
- Czeizel AE, et al. The effect of periconceptional multivitamin-mineral supplementation on vertigo, nausea and vomiting in the first trimester of pregnancy. Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 1992;251:181.
- Emelianova S, et al. Prevalence and severity of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy and effect of vitamin supplementation. Clinical and Investigative Medicine. 1999;22:106.
- Gill SK, et al. The effectiveness of discontinuing iron-containing prenatal multivitamins on reducing the severity of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2009;29:13.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 9, 2008.
- Refruezo JS, et al. Clinical features and diagnostic evaluation of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy (hyperemesis gravidarum and morning sickness). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 22, 2011.
- Diclegis (prescribing information). Bryn Mawr, Penn.: Duchesnay Inc., 2013. http://www.diclegis.com/pdf/Diclegis_Full_Prescribing_Information.pdf . Accessed Aug. 19, 2013.
- FDA approves Diclegis for pregnant women experiencing nausea and vomiting. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm347087.htm. Accessed Aug. 19, 2013.