Mold allergy causes the same signs and symptoms that occur in other types of upper respiratory allergies. Mold allergy symptoms can include:
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Cough and postnasal drip
- Itchy eyes, nose and throat
- Watery eyes
Mold allergy symptoms vary from person to person and range from mild to severe. You may have year-round symptoms or symptoms that flare up only during certain times of the year. You may notice symptoms when the weather is damp, or when you're in indoor or outdoor spaces that have high concentrations of mold.
Mold allergy and asthma
If you have a mold allergy and asthma, your asthma symptoms may be triggered by exposure to mold spores. In some people, exposure to certain molds can cause a severe asthma attack. Signs and symptoms of asthma include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
When to see a doctor
If you have a stuffy nose, sneezing, watery eyes or other bothersome symptoms that persist, see your doctor.
Mar. 06, 2013
- Mold allergy overview. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/mold-allergy.aspx. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Mold allergy. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=8&sub=15&cont=58. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Basic facts: Molds in the environment. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://cdc.gov/mold/faqs.htm. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- A brief guide to mold, moisture and your home. Environmental Protection Agency. http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Atopic and allergic disorders. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec13/ch165/ch165c.html. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Lalwani AK. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=39. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Nov. 20, 2012.
- Bozeman S, et al. Complications of allergic fungal sinusitis. The American Journal of Medicine. 2011;124:359.
- Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/lung_and_airway_disorders/allergic_and_autoimmune_diseases_of_the_lungs/allergic_bronchopulmonary_aspergillosis.html. Accessed Dec. 3, 2012.
- A brief guide to mold in the workplace. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. http://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib101003.html. Accessed Dec. 3, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.