Certain factors may increase the risk of developing a milk allergy:
Aug. 07, 2014
- Other allergies. Many children allergic to milk also have other allergies. Milk allergy is often the first to develop.
- Atopic dermatitis. Children who have atopic dermatitis — a common, chronic inflammation of the skin — are much more likely to develop a food allergy.
- Family history. A person's risk of a food allergy increases if one or both parents have a food allergy or another type of allergy — such as hay fever, asthma, hives or eczema.
- Age. Milk allergy is more common in children. As they age, their digestive system matures, and their bodies are less likely to react to milk.
- Jarvinen-Seppo KM. Milk allergy: Clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- Jarvinen-Seppo KM. Milk allergy: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- Milk allergy. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/food-allergies/types/Pages/milk-allergy.aspx. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- Milk allergy. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=20&cont=516. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- Food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES). American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/food-protein-induced-enterocolitis-syndrome.aspx. Access March 31, 2014.
- Milk allergy. Food Allergy Research and Education. http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/milk-allergy. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- Anaphylaxis. American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/anaphylaxis.aspxAnaphylasis. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Food allergies. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. https://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=20&cont=286. Accessed March 30, 2014.
- Food allergy: An overview. The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/_LAYOUTS/NIAID.Internet.Controls/SearchResults.aspx?getfields=description&q=food%20allergy%20overview. Accessed April 2, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.