Conservative measures usually relieve the pain of metatarsalgia.
Surgical or other procedures
In rare cases, when conservative measures don't relieve your pain and your metatarsalgia is complicated by foot conditions such as hammertoe, surgery to realign the metatarsal bones may be an option. Discuss the benefits and risks of foot surgery with your doctor.
May. 14, 2014
- Metatarsalgia. The American College of Foot & Ankle Orthopedics & Medicine. http://www.acfaom.org/information-for-patients/common-conditions/metatarsalgia. Accessed Sept. 1, 2013.
- Callahan LR. Overview of running injuries of the lower extremity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 1, 2013.
- Skinner HB, ed. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Orthopedics. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2006. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2321540. Accessed Sept. 1, 2013.
- Doherty GM, ed. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Surgery. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=23. Accessed Sept. 1, 2013.
- Wheeless CR, ed. Wheeless' Textbook of Orthopaedics. Durham, N.C.: DataTrace Internet Publishing; 2011. http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/metatarsalgia. Accessed Sept. 3, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.