Signs and symptoms of a meningioma typically begin gradually and may be very subtle at first. Depending on where in the brain or, rarely, spine the tumor is situated, signs and symptoms may include:
- Changes in vision, such as seeing double or blurriness
- Headaches that worsen with time
- Hearing loss
- Memory loss
- Loss of smell
- Weakness in your arms or legs
When to see a doctor
Most signs and symptoms of a meningioma evolve slowly, but sometimes a meningioma requires emergency care.
Seek emergency care if you have:
- Sudden onset of seizures
- Sudden changes in your vision or memory
Make an appointment to see your doctor if you have persistent signs and symptoms that concern you, such as headaches that worsen over time.
May 02, 2014
- Ellison D, et al. Neuropathology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Limited. 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Meningiomas. American Association of Neurological Surgeons. http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Meningiomas.aspx. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Park JK, et al. Meningioma: Clinical presentation and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Pinto PS, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging features of meningioma in children and young adults: A retrospective analysis. Journal of Neuroradiology. 2012;39:218.
- Park JK, et al. Meningioma: Epidemiology, risk factors and pathology. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Meningioma. American Brain Tumor Association. http://www.abta.org/understanding-brain-tumors/types-of-tumors/meningioma.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Ding D, et al. The role of radiosurgery in the management of WHO grade II and III intracranial meningiomas. Neurosurgery Focus. 2013;35:E16.
- Park JK, et al. Treatment of benign (WHO grade I) meningioma. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Chronic pain and CAM: At a glance. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/pain/chronic.htm. Accessed Dec. 5, 2013.
- Uhm JH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 7, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.