Multiple endocrine neoplasia, type 1 (MEN 1) is a rare condition, affecting about 1 in 30,000 people. Mayo Clinic specialists treat about 140 people with MEN 1 each year.
Mayo Clinic scientists are working to improve the diagnosis and treatment of multiple endocrine neoplasia, including the treatment of recurrent parathyroid tumors with percutaneous ethanol ablation, better detection of uncommon carcinoid and neuroendocrine tumors, new chemotherapy drugs, and other interventional radiology ablative procedures.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for diabetes and endocrinology in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked highly performing for diabetes and endocrinology by U.S. News & World Report.
Aug. 25, 2017
- Jameson JL, et al., eds. Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1. In: Endocrinology: Adult and Pediatric. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 12, 2017.
- Melmed S, et al. Multiple endocrine neoplasia. In: Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 13th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 12, 2017.
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/endocrine-diseases/multiple-endocrine-neoplasia-type-1. Accessed July 12, 2017.
- Warner K. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 3, 2017.
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia, type 1 (MEN 1). Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine-and-metabolic-disorders/multiple-endocrine-neoplasia-men-syndromes/multiple-endocrine-neoplasia,-type-1-men-1. Accessed July 12, 2017.
- Arnold A. Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1: Treatment. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed July 12, 2017.
- Ospina NS, et al. Safety and efficacy of percutaneous parathyroid ethanol ablation in patients with recurrent primary hyperparathyroidism and multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2015;100:E87.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 17, 2017.
Multiple endocrine neoplasia, type 1 (MEN 1)