Measles is a childhood infection caused by a virus. Once quite common, measles can now almost always be prevented with a vaccine. Signs and symptoms of measles include cough, runny nose, inflamed eyes, sore throat, fever and a red, blotchy skin rash.
Also called rubeola, measles can be serious and even fatal for small children. While death rates have been falling worldwide as more children receive the measles vaccine, the disease still kills more than 100,000 people a year, most under the age of 5.
As a result of high vaccination rates, measles has not been widespread in the United States for more than a decade. Today, the United States averages about 60 cases of measles a year, and most of them originate outside the country.
May. 24, 2014
- Moss WJ, et al. Measles. The Lancet. 2012;379:153.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 13, 2014.
- Measles. World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs286/en/. Accessed Feb. 13, 2014.
- Measles (rubeola). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/measles/. Accessed Feb. 13, 2014.
- Barinaga JL et al. Clinical presentation and diagnosis of measles. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 13, 2014.
- Barinaga JL et al. Prevention and treatment of measles. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 13, 2014.
- Measles. National Health Service. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Measles/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Measles cases in England 'almost double.' National Health Service. http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/08august/Pages/measles-cases-england-almost-double.aspx. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Hornig M, et al. Lack of association between measles virus vaccine and autism with enteropathy: A case-control study. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3140.
- Sullivan JE, et al. Fever and antipyretic use in children. Pediatrics. 2011;127:580.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.