Complications of mammary duct ectasia are usually minor and often more bothersome than serious. These may include:
May 01, 2015
- Nipple discharge. Nipple discharge caused by mammary duct ectasia can be frustrating. Fluid leaking from your nipples can cause embarrassing wetness and staining on your clothes.
- Breast discomfort. Mammary duct ectasia can cause redness, swelling and tenderness around your nipples.
- Infection. A bacterial infection (periductal mastitis) may develop in the affected milk duct, sometimes causing pain in or around the nipple, a general feeling of illness (malaise) or a fever. Untreated infection could lead to an abscess — a collection of pus in your breast tissue — which may require a procedure to drain it.
- Concern about breast cancer. When you notice a change in your breast, you may worry that it's a sign of breast cancer, especially if you develop a hard lump around a milk duct affected by mammary duct ectasia. While it's important to get signs and symptoms checked out promptly, remember that mammary duct ectasia does not increase your risk of breast cancer.
- Rosai J. Breast. In: Rosai and Ackerman's Surgical Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Onstad M, et al. Benign breast disorders. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2013;3:459.
- Noncancerous breast conditions. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/healthy/findcancerearly/womenshealth/non-cancerousbreastconditions/non-cancerous-breast-conditions-duct-ectasia. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Dabbs DJ. Reactive and inflammatory conditions of the breast. In: Breast Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Diagnosis of breast disease. Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement (ICSI); 2012. https://www.icsi.org/_asset/v9l91q/DxBrDis.pdf. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Huttunen R, et al. Smoking and the outcome of infection. Journal of Internal Medicine. 2011;3:258. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2010.02332.x/asset/j.1365-2796.2010.02332.x.pdf;jsessionid=7E1BAE92F9DEA056669010BBC8721234.f03t01?v=1&t=i6ify7dg&s=582ed53a179e537e7c6ffffad0230dc4cbc1d013. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 7, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.