Long QT syndrome can be a worrisome condition because of its serious potential outcomes. Worrying about possible fatal heart rhythms can obviously cause you and your family a lot of stress.
Families with inherited long QT syndrome may find it helpful to talk to a cardiologist with expertise in diagnosing and treating long QT syndrome, a genetics counselor, a psychiatrist or psychologist, as well as other families with the condition.
April 20, 2012
- Ackerman MJ, et al. Congenital long QT syndrome. In: Gussak I, et al. Electrical Diseases of the Heart; Genetics, Mechanisms, Treatment, Prevention. New York, N.Y.: Springer; 2008:462.
- Long QT syndrome. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/qt/qt_whatis.html. Accessed Feb. 10, 2012.
- Long QT syndrome. Heart Rhythm Society. http://www.hrsonline.org/PatientInfo/HeartRhythmDisorders/IDisorders/index.cfm. Accessed Feb. 10, 2012.
- Madias C, et al. Acquired long QT syndrome from stress cardiomyopathy is associated with ventricular arrhythmias and torsades de pointes. Heart Rhythm. 2011;8:555.
- Mauriello DA, et al. Holter monitoring in the evaluation of congenital long QT syndrome. Pacing & Clinical Electrophysiology. 2011;34:1100.
- Berul CI, et al. Acquired long QT syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 9, 2012.
- Barsheshet A, et al. Genotype-specific QT correction for heart rate and the risk of life-threatening cardiac events in adolescents with congenital long-QT syndrome. Heart Rhythm. 2011;8:1207.
- Seslar SP, et al. Diagnosis of congenital long QT syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 9, 2012.
- Anand RG, et al. The role of fish oil in arrhythmia prevention. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention. 2008;28:92.
- Farnsworth MM, et al. When I go in to wake them ... I Wonder: Parental perceptions about congenital long QT syndrome. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. 2006;18:284.