Learning that you have a liver hemangioma — even a small, dormant one — can be unsettling at first. You may be worried about whether your liver hemangioma is growing or whether it will cause complications in the future. With time, you may adjust to living with a liver hemangioma. Until you find your own ways of coping, consider trying to:
Aug. 13, 2013
- Learn about liver hemangioma. Write down questions to ask your doctor at your next appointment. Also ask recommendations for good sources of information.
- Know the signs and symptoms of a growing liver hemangioma. Ask your doctor about what signs and symptoms may indicate that your liver hemangioma is growing or causing complications. Signs and symptoms might include persistent pain in the upper right area of your abdomen, nausea and vomiting. Ask your doctor which symptoms should prompt you to make an appointment for a checkup.
- Take care of your liver. A small liver hemangioma won't interrupt your liver's ability to function. Still, you can make choices that help keep your liver healthy. Don't smoke, follow directions when using household chemicals, maintain a healthy weight, drink alcohol in moderation (if at all) and avoid risky behaviors, such as unprotected sex and sharing needles.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed May 31, 2013.
- Curry MP, et al. Hepatic hemangioma. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 31, 2013.
- Benign liver tumors. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/info/benigntumors/. Accessed May 31, 2013.
- Assy N, et al. Characteristics of common solid liver lesions and recommendations for diagnostic workup. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2009;15:3217.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.