Your doctor makes a diagnosis of lichen planus based on your symptoms, your medical history, a physical examination and, if necessary, the results of lab tests. These tests may include:
- Biopsy. Your doctor removes a small piece of affected tissue for examination under a microscope. The tissue is analyzed to determine whether it has the cell patterns characteristic of lichen planus.
- Hepatitis C test. You may have your blood drawn to test for hepatitis C, which is a possible trigger for lichen planus.
- Allergy tests. Your doctor may refer you to an allergy specialist (allergist) or dermatologist for skin patch testing to identify agents to which you may be allergic and that may act as triggers for your condition.
Other tests may be needed if your doctor suspects you have any of the several variations of lichen planus, such as the type that affects the esophagus, genitals, ears or mouth.
Feb. 23, 2016
- Le Cleach L, et al. Lichen planus. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;366:723.
- Sharma A, et al. Lichen planus: An update and review. Cutis. 2012;90:17.
- Usatine RP, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of lichen planus. American Family Physician. 2011;84:53.
- Ferri FF. Lichen planus. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 11, 2015.
- Bradford J, et al. Management of vulvovaginal lichen planus: A new approach. Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease. 2013;17:28.
- Pizzorno JE, et al. Lichen planus. In: Textbook of Natural Medicine. 4th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Elsevier; 2013.
- Habif TP. Psoriasis and other papulosquamous diseases. In: Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 6th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; Maryland Heights, Mo.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 11, 2015.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Lichen planus. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012.
- Sartori-Valinotti JC, et al. A 10-year review of otic lichen planus: The Mayo Clinic experience. JAMA Dermatology. 2013;149:1082.
- Cheng S, et al. Interventions for erosive lichen planus affecting mucosal sites. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.18.0b/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed Dec. 17, 2015.
- Pickert A. Concise review of lichen planus and lichenoid dermatoses. Cutis. 2012;90:e1.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 18, 2016.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Lichen planus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 17, 2015.
- Honigsmann H. UVB therapy (broadband and narrowband). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 21, 2015.
- Lichen planus. American Academy of Dermatology. https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/rashes/lichen-planus. Accessed Dec. 21, 2015.