Simple kidney cysts typically don't cause signs or symptoms. If a simple kidney cyst grows large enough, symptoms may include:
- Dull pain in your back or side
- Upper abdominal pain
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have signs or symptoms of a kidney cyst.
Jul. 18, 2012
- Taal MW, et al. Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6193-9..C2010-1-67932-1--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6193-9&uniqId=321553651-265. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed June 11, 2012.
- Simple kidney cysts. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/cysts/index.htm. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Eknoyan G. A clinical view of simple and complex renal cysts. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2009;20:1874.
- Tanagho EA, et al. Smith's General Urology. 17th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=21. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Skolarikos A, et al. Conservative and radiological management of simple renal cysts: A comprehensive review. British Journal of Urology International. In press. Accessed June 13, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.