Simple kidney cysts typically don't cause signs or symptoms. If a simple kidney cyst grows large enough, symptoms may include:
- Dull pain in your back or side
- Upper abdominal pain
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have signs or symptoms of a kidney cyst.
June 30, 2015
- Bennett WM, et al. Simple and complex renal cysts in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Benign renal tumors. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Simple kidney cysts. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/kidney-disease/kidney-cysts/Pages/facts.aspx. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Bas O, et al. Management of renal cysts. Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons. 2015;19:e2014.00097.
- AskMayoExpert. Renal cysts. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Simple kidney cysts. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/Simple-Kidney-Cysts. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Albright RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 26, 2015.