- Teamwork. Mayo Clinic doctors from several medical specialties work together to provide you with the best care possible, tailored to your needs. Your team may include specialists in urology, medical oncology, radiation oncology, radiology, pathology and other specialties as needed.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have extensive experience diagnosing and treating kidney cancer, including common and rare types of the disease. Each year, more than 60,000 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with kidney cancer. And each year, doctors at Mayo Clinic treat more than 2,500 people with kidney cancer.
- A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered to people with kidney cancer includes surgery, medications, radiation therapy and minimally invasive procedures, such as cryoablation and radiofrequency ablation.
- Latest diagnostic and treatment options. Mayo Clinic urologists specialize in surgery to remove the tumor and spare the normal part of the kidney (partial nephrectomy), minimally invasive surgical and nonsurgical procedures, and surgical management of advanced tumors, including those that have spread to other areas of the body. Mayo doctors are also developing the next generation of minimally invasive and noninvasive treatments.
- Leaders in kidney cancer research. Mayo Clinic doctors and scientists perform extensive research in the diagnosis and treatment of kidney cancer. Kidney cancer research has led to important discoveries that have helped in the care of people with kidney cancer.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multispecialty approach focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Aug. 16, 2013
- Kidney cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/kidney.pdf. Accessed June 26, 2013.
- Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1709/0.html. Accessed June 26, 2013.
- What you need to know about kidney cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/kidney/allpages/print. Accessed June 26, 2013.
- Distress management. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/distress.pdf. Accessed June 26, 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed June 26, 2013.
- Proleukin (prescribing information). San Diego, Calif.: Prometheus Laboratories Inc.; 2012. http://www.proleukin.com/mrcc. Accessed June 26, 2013.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. July 12, 2013.
- Cancer Facts & Figures 2013. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/research/cancerfactsstatistics/cancerfactsfigures2013/index. Accessed July 30, 2013.
- Cancer Facts & Figures 2012. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/research/cancerfactsstatistics/cancerfactsfigures2012/index. Accessed July 30, 2013.
- Cancer Facts & Figures 2011. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/research/cancerfactsstatistics/cancerfactsfigures2011/index. Accessed July 30, 2013.
- Cancer Facts & Figures 2010. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/research/cancerfactsstatistics/cancerfactsfigures2010/index. Accessed July 30, 2013.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 30, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.