Several serious complications can result from juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. But keeping a careful watch on your child's condition and seeking appropriate medical attention can greatly reduce the risk of these complications:
Oct. 17, 2014
Eye problems. Some forms of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis can cause eye inflammation (uveitis). If this condition is left untreated, it may result in cataracts, glaucoma and even blindness.
Eye inflammation frequently occurs without symptoms, so it's important for children with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis to be examined regularly by an ophthalmologist.
- Growth problems. Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis can interfere with your child's growth and bone development. Some medications used to treat juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, mainly corticosteroids, also can inhibit growth.
- Marzan KAB, et al. Early juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America. 2012;38:355.
- Questions and answers about juvenile arthritis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Juv_Arthritis/. Accessed Sept. 3, 2014.
- Juvenile arthritis. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/conditions-treatments/disease-center/juvenile--arthritis/. Accessed Sept. 2, 2014.
- Arthritis in children. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/diseases_and_conditions/juvenilearthritis.asp. Accessed Sept. 2, 2014.
- Sullivan KE. Inflammation in juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Pediatric Clinics of North America. 2005;52:335.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 3, 2014.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 3, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.