SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
If you have an incompetent cervix, you might not experience any signs or symptoms as your cervix begins to open during early pregnancy. Mild discomfort or spotting over the course of several days or weeks is possible, however, starting between 14 and 20 weeks of pregnancy. Be on the lookout for:
March 12, 2015
- A sensation of pelvic pressure
- A backache
- Mild abdominal cramps
- A change in vaginal discharge
- Light vaginal bleeding
- Berghella V, et al. Cervical insufficiency. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2015. 54th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2015. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookID=1019. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 24th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=1057. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Cervical insufficiency. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gynecology_and_obstetrics/abnormalities_of_pregnancy/cervical_insufficiency.html#v1073896. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 142: Cerclage for the management of cervical insufficiency. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2014;123:372.
- What can I do to promote a healthy pregnancy? National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/preconceptioncare/conditioninfo/pages/healthy-pregnancy.aspx. Accessed Dec. 18, 2014.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 19, 2014.