If you have an incompetent cervix, you might feel anxious about your pregnancy. You might be afraid to think about the future, and prenatal visits might make you particularly nervous — for fear that you'll hear bad news.
Unfortunately, anxiety can affect your health and your baby's health. Consult your health care provider about healthy ways to stay calm. Some studies suggest that certain techniques, such as imagining pleasant objects or experiences or listening to music, can reduce anxiety during pregnancy.
If you give birth prematurely, it won't affect your physical recovery from childbirth. Depending on when you give birth, however, your baby might need intensive medical care. You might be worried about the possible long-term effects for your baby. As the parent of a premature newborn, you might also feel that you did something to cause the premature birth or that you could have done more to prevent it. If you're experiencing feelings of guilt, talk to your partner and loved ones, as well as your health care provider. Try to focus your energy on caring for and getting to know your child.
Mar. 23, 2012
- Johnson JR, et al. Cervical insufficiency. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 31, 2012.
- Fox NS, et al. Cervical cerclage: A review of the evidence. Obstetrical and Gynecological Survey. 2008;63:58.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06930-7..50027-X&isbn=978-0-443-06930-7&uniqId=301267705-3. Accessed Nov. 14, 2011.
- Annum EA, et al. Health disparities in risk for cervical insufficiency. Human Reproduction. 2010;25:2894.
- Jakobsson M, et al. Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: Reproductive effects of treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Preterm labor. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/faq/faq087.cfm. Accessed Sept. 22, 2011.
- Preterm labor and birth. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/Preterm_Labor_and_Birth.cfm. Accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- Tita ATN. Intraamniotic infection (chorioamnionitis). http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Feb. 10, 2012.
- Berghella V. Transvaginal ultrasound assessment of the cervix and prediction of spontaneous preterm birth. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Feb. 10, 2012.
- Marc I, et al. Mind-body interventions during pregnancy for preventing or treating women's anxiety (review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007559.pub2/abstract. Accessed Feb. 13, 2012.
- Tsekiri O'Brien E, et al. Women's views of high risk pregnancy under threat of preterm birth. Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare. 2010;1:79.
- Yang M, et al. Music therapy to relieve anxiety in pregnant women on bedrest: A randomized controlled trial. 2009;34:316.
- Frequently asked questions. Number 87. Preterm labor. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/faq/faq087.cfm. Accessed Feb. 13, 2012.
- Zaichkin J. Newborn Intensive Care: What Every Parent Needs to Know. 3rd ed. Ann Arbor, Mich.: Sheridan Books; 2009:77.
- Healthy pregnancy: Staying healthy and safe. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health. http://www.womenshealth.gov/pregnancy/you-are-pregnant/staying-healthy-safe.cfm. Accessed Feb. 13, 2012.
- Norwitz ER. Prevention of spontaneous preterm birth. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Feb. 13, 2012.
- Makena (prescribing information). Bridgeton, Mo.: Ther-Rx Corp.; 2011. http://www.makena.com/media/PDFs/full-pi.pdf. Accessed Feb. 13, 2012.
- FDA approves drug to reduce risk of preterm birth in at-risk pregnant women. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm242234.htm. Accessed Feb. 13, 2012.
- Berghella V, et al. Patients with prior second-trimester loss: Prophylactic cerclage or serial transvaginal sonograms? American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2002;187:747.
- Baramki TA. Hysterosalpinography. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Feb. 13, 2012.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 15, 2012.