Lifestyle and home remedies
If you have idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, try to:
- Avoid activities that could cause injury. Ask your doctor which activities are safe for you. Contact sports — such as boxing, martial arts and football — carry a high risk of injury.
- Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all. Alcohol slows the production of platelets in your body. Ask your doctor whether it's OK for you to drink alcohol.
- Watch for signs of infection. If you've had your spleen removed, be alert for any signs of infection, including fever, and seek prompt treatment. Infection in someone who has had a splenectomy may be more severe than in someone who still has a spleen.
- Use caution with over-the-counter medications. Nonprescription drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) can impair platelet function.
Aug. 09, 2017
- AskMayoExpert. Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Spleen disorders and splenectomy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP). Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/hematology-and-oncology/thrombocytopenia-and-platelet-dysfunction/immune-thrombocytopenia-(itp). Accessed Feb. 10, 2016.
- Yeo CJ, et al., eds. Splenectomy for conditions other than trauma. In: Shackelford's Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders; 2013.
- Immune thrombocytopenic? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/itp. Accessed Feb. 9, 2016.
- George JN, et al. Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) in adults: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2016.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 11, 2016.
- Neunert C, et al. The American Society of Hematology 2011 evidence-based guidelines for immune thrombocytopenia. Blood. 2011;117:4190.
- CBC with differential, blood. Mayo Medical Laboratories. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/9109. Accessed Feb. 12, 2016.
- George JN, et al. Approach to the adult with unexplained thrombocytopenia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 11, 2016.
- George JN, et al. Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) in adults: Initial treatment and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2016.
- George JN, et al. Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) in adults: Second-line and subsequent therapies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2016.
- Leandro MJ. Rituximab and other B cell targeted therapies for rheumatoid arthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 16, 2016.
- Imuran (azathioprine). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/016324s037,017391s016lbl.pdf. Accessed Feb. 16, 2016.
- Arnold DM. Positioning new treatments in the management of immune thrombocytopenia. Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2013;60:S19.
- Mesa RA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale/Phoenix, Ariz. Feb. 17, 2016.
Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)