With the help of rehabilitative therapies and educational interventions, many people with hydrocephalus live with few limitations.
There are many resources available to provide emotional and medical support as you parent a child with hydrocephalus. Children with developmental problems due to hydrocephalus may be eligible for government-sponsored health care and other support services. Check with your state or county social services agency.
Hospitals and voluntary organizations serving people with disabilities are good resources for emotional and practical support, as are doctors and nurses. Ask these resources to help you connect with other families who are coping with hydrocephalus.
Adults living with hydrocephalus may find valuable information and support from organizations dedicated to hydrocephalus education and support, such as the Hydrocephalus Association.
Aug. 02, 2014
- Ellenbogen RG, et al. Principles of Neurological Surgery. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier. 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Haridas A, et al. Hydrocephalus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Hydrocephalus fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/hydrocephalus/detail_hydrocephalus.htm. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Hydrocephalus. American Association of Neurological Surgeons. http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Hydrocephalus.aspx . Accessed May 18, 2014.
- What can parents expect during their infant's well-child visits? National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/infantcare/conditioninfo/Pages/well-child-visit.aspx. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Meningococcal vaccine: Who and when to vaccinate. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/mening/who-vaccinate.htm. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Adams Waldorf KM, et al. Influence of infection during pregnancy on fetal development. Reproduction. 2013;146:R151.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.