For baby boys, hydroceles typically disappear on their own within a year. If a hydrocele doesn't disappear after a year or if it continues to enlarge, it might need to be surgically removed.
For adult males, hydroceles often go away on their own within six months. A hydrocele requires treatment only if it gets large enough to cause discomfort or disfigurement. Then it might need to be surgically removed.
The procedure can be performed on an outpatient basis during general or regional anesthesia. An incision is made in the scrotum or lower abdomen to remove the hydrocele. If a hydrocele is found during surgery to repair an inguinal hernia, the surgeon might remove the hydrocele even if it's causing no discomfort.
After hydrocelectomy, you might need a tube to drain fluid and a bulky dressing for a few days. To ease discomfort, your doctor might recommend:
- A scrotal support strap
- Ice packs to help reduce swelling
Your doctor is likely to recommend a follow-up examination because a hydrocele might recur.
Oct. 09, 2014
- AskMayoExpert. What are the causes or types of scrotal masses? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Eyre RC, et al. Evaluation of nonacute scrotal pathology in adult men. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Brenner JS. Causes of painless scrotal swelling in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are possible causes of pediatric testicular pain? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Francis JJ, et al. Aspiration and sclerotherapy: A nonsurgical treatment option for hydroceles. Journal of Urology. 2013;189:1725.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What tests are needed before scrotal surgery? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.