Not all women who go through menopause have hot flashes. It's not clear why only some women get hot flashes. The following factors increase your risk:
May. 16, 2014
- Smoking. Women who smoke are more likely to get hot flashes.
- Obesity. A high body mass index (BMI) is associated with a higher frequency of hot flashes.
- Physical inactivity. If you don't exercise, you may be more likely to have hot flashes during menopause.
- Ethnicity. More African-American women report menopausal hot flashes than do women of European descent. Hot flashes are less common in women of Japanese and Chinese descent than in white European women.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Gynecology. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 141: Management of menopausal symptoms. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2014;123:202.
- Casper RF. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of menopause. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Frequently asked questions. Women's health FAQ047. Menopause. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq047.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20140312T1457400846. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Get the facts: Menopausal symptoms and complementary health practices. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/menopause/menopausesymptoms. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Elkins GR, et al. Clinical hypnosis in the treatment of postmenopausal hot flashes: A randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2013;20:1.
- Casper RF, et al. Menopausal hot flashes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Hot flash management using alternatives to estrogen. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Pachman DR, et al. Management of menopause-associated vasomotor symptoms: Current treatment options, challenges and future directions. International Journal of Women's Health. 2010;2:123.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.