Nighttime hot flashes (night sweats) can wake you from sleep and, over time, may cause chronic insomnia. These sleep disturbances can, in turn, eventually lead to memory problems, anxiety and depression in some women.
May 16, 2014
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Gynecology. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 141: Management of menopausal symptoms. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2014;123:202.
- Casper RF. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of menopause. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Frequently asked questions. Women's health FAQ047. Menopause. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq047.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20140312T1457400846. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Get the facts: Menopausal symptoms and complementary health practices. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/menopause/menopausesymptoms. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Elkins GR, et al. Clinical hypnosis in the treatment of postmenopausal hot flashes: A randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2013;20:1.
- Casper RF, et al. Menopausal hot flashes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Hot flash management using alternatives to estrogen. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Pachman DR, et al. Management of menopause-associated vasomotor symptoms: Current treatment options, challenges and future directions. International Journal of Women's Health. 2010;2:123.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.