The exact cause of hot flashes isn't known, but the signs and symptoms point to factors affecting the function of your body's thermostat — the hypothalamus. This area at the base of your brain regulates body temperature and other basic processes. The estrogen reduction you experience during menopause may disrupt hypothalamic function, leading to hot flashes.
Low estrogen alone doesn't often seem to induce hot flashes, as children and women with low levels of estrogen due to medical conditions usually don't experience hot flashes. Instead, the withdrawal of estrogen, which happens during menopause, appears to be the trigger.
Jun. 11, 2011
- Grady D, et al. Menopausal symptoms. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Midlife transitions. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/ab013.cfm. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Casper RF, et al. Menopausal hot flashes. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Hot flashes. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Loprinzi CL, et al. Hot flashes. In: Walsh D, et al. Palliative Medicine. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?sid=1146104700&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05674-8..50177-8--cesec2&isbn=978-0-323-05674-8&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05674-8..50177-8--cesec2&uniqId=239287562-5. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Gaudet T. Menopause: Integrative therapy. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed April 15, 2011.
- Menopausal symptoms and CAM: What the science says. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/providers/digest/menopause-science.htm. Accessed April 15, 2011.