CausesBy Mayo Clinic Staff
High blood pressure in younger children is often related to other health conditions such as heart defects, kidney disease, genetic conditions or hormonal disorders. In older children — especially those who are overweight — the precise cause of high blood pressure is often unknown.
Oct. 23, 2015
- Black HR, et al. Hypertension in children and adolescents. Hypertension: A Companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007.
- Marcdante KJ, et al. Hypertension. In: Nelson Essentials of Pediatrics. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinical key.com. Accessed Oct. 3, 2015.
- Mattoo TK. Evaluation of hypertension in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 4, 2015.
- High blood pressure in children. American Family Physician. 2012;85:704.
- Essouma M, et al. Hypertension prevalence, incidence and risk factors among children and adolescents in Africa: A systematic review and meta-analysis protocol. British Medical Journal Open. 2015;5:e008472.
- High blood pressure in children. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/UnderstandYourRiskforHighBloodPressure/High-Blood-Pressure-in-Children_UCM_301868_Article.jsp. Accessed Oct. 4, 2015.
- The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2004;114(suppl):555.
- Tips for parents: Ideas to help children maintain a healthy weight. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/children/index.html. Accessed Oct. 4, 2015.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 7, 2015.