Henoch-Schonlein purpura usually improves on its own within a month with no lasting ill effects. Bed rest, plenty of fluids and over-the-counter pain relievers may help.
The use of powerful corticosteroids, such as prednisone, in treating or preventing complications of Henoch-Schonlein purpura is controversial. They're most often used to treat severe gastrointestinal symptoms. Because these drugs can have serious side effects and their usefulness isn't clear, be sure to discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
If a section of the bowel has folded in upon itself or ruptured, surgical repair will be necessary.
Jul. 31, 2013
- Henoch-Schonlein pupura. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/hsp. Accessed May 1, 2013.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed May 1, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Henoch-Schonlein purpura. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Dedeoglu F, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Henoch-Schonlein purpura. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 1, 2013.
- Dedeoglu F, et al. Management of Henoch-Schonlein purpura. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 1, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013:5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed May 1, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.