A doctor's appointment usually isn't necessary for heat rash, because the rash generally clears up on its own. If your rash is more severe, you may want to see your primary care doctor or a doctor who specializes in skin disorders (dermatologist) to be sure it's heat rash and not another skin disorder.
Before you go, it's a good idea to write down any questions you might have so that you're sure to cover all of the points that are important to you. For heat rash, some questions to ask your doctor include:
Mar. 07, 2012
- What could have caused this rash to develop?
- Do I need any tests?
- How do I need to treat it?
- Do I need to limit physical activity until the rash clears up?
- What steps can I take to prevent it in the future?
- Miliaria. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for HealthCare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec10/ch118/ch118e.html. Accessed Nov. 20, 2011.
- Miliaria. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/miliaria.html. Accessed Nov. 20, 2011.
- Acne, rosacea and related disorders. In: Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Disorders of the sweat glands. In: Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- O'Connor NR, et al. Newborn skin: Part I. Common rashes. American Family Physician. 2008;77:47.
- Berger TG. Dermatologic disorders. In: McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. 51st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=747. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Waters TA, et al. Heat emergencies. In: Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6366972. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 22, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.