Heart palpitations can feel like your heart is:
- Skipping beats
- Beating too fast
- Pumping harder than usual
You may feel heart palpitations in your throat or neck, as well as your chest. Heart palpitations can occur whether you're active or at rest, and whether you're standing, seated or lying down.
When to see a doctor
Palpitations that are infrequent and last only a few seconds usually don't require evaluation. If you have a history of heart disease and have frequent palpitations or have palpitations that worsen, talk to your doctor. He or she may suggest heart-monitoring tests to see if your palpitations are caused by a more serious heart problem.
Seek emergency medical attention if heart palpitations are accompanied by:
Apr. 02, 2014
- Chest discomfort or pain
- Severe shortness of breath
- Severe dizziness
- Zimetbaum PJ. Overview of palpitations in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 26, 2013.
- Palpitations. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/hpl/hpl_all.html. Accessed Nov. 26, 2013.
- Wexler RK, et al. Outpatient approach to palpitations. American Family Physician. 2011;84:63.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.