It's difficult to prevent the spread of head lice among children in child care and in school. There's so much close contact among children and their belongings that lice can spread easily. It's no reflection on your hygiene habits or those of your children, and it's not a failure on your part as a parent if your child gets head lice.
You can ask your child not to share hats, scarves, coats, combs, brushes, hair decorations and other personal belongings at school. But it's not realistic to expect that you and your child can eliminate all the types of contact that may result in the spread of lice.
The best approach to head lice prevention is simply to take thorough steps to get rid of the lice — and their eggs — so that you don't have more lice to deal with.
Jun. 01, 2011
- Goldstein AO, et al. Pediculosis capitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 25, 2011.
- Head lice: Frequently asked questions (FAQs). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/gen_info/faqs.html. Accessed April 25, 2011.
- Head lice: Treatment. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/treatment.html. Accessed April 25, 2011.
- Bedell DA, et al. Parasitology. In: Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/linkTo?type=bookPage&isbn=978-1-4160-2467-5&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2467-5..50029-4. Accessed April 25, 2011.
- Schlossberg D. Arthropods and leeches. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/128370895-5/822078666/1492/1286.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2805-5..50385-2--cesec27_16133. Accessed April 26, 2011.
- Burkhart CN, et al. Fomite transmission in head lice. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2007;56:1044.
- Treating head lice. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/UCM173526.pdf. Accessed April 27, 2011.
- Head lice: Prevention and control. Centers for Disease Prevention and Control. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/prevent.html. Accessed April 26, 2011.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Clinical report — Head lice. Pediatrics. 2010;126:392.