If your child scratches an itchy scalp from a head lice infestation, it is possible for the skin to break and develop an infection.
June 18, 2014
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Clinical report — Head lice. Pediatrics. 2010;126:392.
- Head lice: Frequently asked questions. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/gen_info/faqs.html. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Pickering LK, et al., eds. Red Book Online. 29th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2012. http://aapredbook.aappublications.org. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Takano-Lee M, et al. Home remedies to control head lice: Assessment of home remedies to control the human head louse, Pediculus humanus capitis. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2004;19:393.
- Di Campli E, et al. Activity of tea tree oil and nerolidol alone or in combination against Pediculus capitis (head lice) and its eggs. Parasitology Research. 2012;111:1985.
- Gunning K, et al. Pediculosis and scabies: Treatment update. American Family Physician. 2012;86:535.
- Pollack RJ, et al. Overdiagnosis and consequent mismanagement of head louse infestations in North America. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. 2000;19:689.
- Goldstein AO, et al. Pediculosis capitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Head lice: Diagnosis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/diagnosis.html. Accessed Feb. 3, 2014.
- Anise. Natural Medicine Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Ylang ylang oil. Natural Medicine Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Mumcuoglu KY, et al. The in vivo pediculicidal efficacy of a natural remedy. The Israel Medical Association Journal. 2002;4:790.
- Hoecker, JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 31, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.