You might first see your family doctor. However, when you call to set up an appointment, your doctor may recommend urgent medical care. If you're having severe difficulty breathing, seek emergency medical attention.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list of answers to the following questions:
- What symptoms are you experiencing? When did they begin?
- Have you recently cleaned any rarely used rooms or buildings?
- Have you had any recent exposure to mice or rats?
- Do you have any other medical problems?
- What medications and supplements do you routinely take?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them may reserve time to go over any points you want to spend more time on. Your doctor may ask:
Jan. 02, 2014
- Have your signs and symptoms included flu-like discomfort, such as fever, muscle aches and fatigue?
- Have you had any gastrointestinal problems, such as diarrhea or vomiting?
- Have you noticed your heart beating faster than normal?
- Are you having difficulty breathing? If so, is it getting worse?
- Is anyone else in your life having similar symptoms?
- Auerbach PS. Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 12, 2013.
- Magill AJ, et al. Hunter's Tropical Medicine and Emerging Infectious Diseases. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 12, 2013.
- Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/hps/index.html. Accessed Sept. 12, 2013.
- Phipatanakul W, et al. Environmental assessment and exposure reduction of rodents: A practice parameter. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. 2012;109:375.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 12, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.