CausesBy Mayo Clinic Staff
It's not clear what causes hairy cell leukemia.
Doctors know that cancer occurs when cells develop errors in their DNA. In the case of hairy cell leukemia, mutations in the DNA cause your bone marrow stem cells to create too many white blood cells that don't work properly. Doctors don't know what causes the DNA mutations that lead to hairy cell leukemia.
March 17, 2015
- Lichtman MA, et al. Williams Hematology. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookId=358. Accessed Oct. 16, 2014.
- Jain P, et al. Update on the biology and treatment options for hairy cell leukemia. Current Treatment Opinions in Oncology. 2014;15:187.
- Naik RR, et al. My treatment approach to hairy cell leukemia. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2012;87:67.
- Tallman MS, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of hairy cell leukemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 8, 2014.
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 16, 2014.
- Hairy cell leukemia treatment (PDQ): Health professional version. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/hairy-cell-leukemia/HealthProfessional/page1. Accessed Nov. 8, 2014.
- Tallman MS, et al. Treatment of hairy cell leukemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 8, 2014.
- Integrative medicine & complementary and alternative therapies as part of blood cancer care. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. http://www.lls.org/#/resourcecenter/freeeducationmaterials/treatment/integrativemedandcam. Accessed Nov. 8, 2014