Why choose Mayo ClinicBy Mayo Clinic Staff
July 01, 2014
- Experience. For more than 100 years, Mayo Clinic has been researching and treating Graves' disease and its associated eye-related changes, called Graves' ophthalmopathy, as well as specializing in surgery to treat both Graves' disease and Graves' opthalmopathy. Mayo doctors see an average of more than 1,400 people with Graves' disease every year.
- Newest research. The tradition of innovation in treatment and research of thyroid disorders, including Graves' disease, continues today. Mayo Clinic has a research team dedicated to actively investigating the causes of Graves' disease and Graves' ophthalmopathy, and is conducting clinical trials evaluating new potential treatments.
- Expertise. Mayo Clinic has a specialized endocrinology and ophthalmology team of experts in the diagnosis and treatment of Graves' disease and Graves' ophthalmopathy.
- Bartalena L. Diagnosis and management of Graves disease: A global overview. Nature Reviews Endocrinology. 2013;9:724.
- Graves' disease. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/graves/index.aspx. Accessed March 9, 2014.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed March 9, 2014.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed March 9, 2014.
- Falgarone G, et al. Role of emotional stress in the pathophysiology of Graves' disease. European Journal of Endocrinology. 2013;168:R13.
- Ross DS. Treatment of Graves' hyperthyroidism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 9, 2014.
- Genovese BM, et al. What is the best definitive treatment for Graves' disease? A systematic review of the existing literature. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2013;20:660.
- Mayo CH. The surgical treatment of goiter. The Journal of the American Medical Association. 1904;XLII:1059.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 3, 2014.