Coping and support
With treatment you're likely to recover from granulomatosis with polyangiitis. Even so you may feel stress about possible relapse or damage the disease may cause. Here are some suggestions for coping with the disease:
- Understand your condition. The more you know about granulomatosis with polyangiitis, the better prepared you may be to deal with complications, the side effects of your medications and relapses. Besides talking with your doctor, you may want to talk with a counselor or a medical social worker.
- Maintain a strong support system. Family and friends can help you cope. And you may find it informative and comforting to talk with other people who are living with the condition. Ask a member of your health care team about connecting with a support group.
Aug. 08, 2017
- AskMayoExpert. Granulomatosis with polyangiitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). American College of Rheumatology http://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient-Caregiver/Diseases-Conditions/Granulomatosis-with-Polyangitis-Wegners. Accessed Oct. 6, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's granulomatosis). In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 6, 2015.
- Guillevin L, et al. Rituximab versus azathioprine for maintenance in ANCA-associated vasculitis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;371:1771.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. The vasculitis syndromes. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Oct. 6, 2015.
- Langford CA. Update on the treatment of granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine. 2012;14:164.
- Gwathmey KG, et al. Vasculitic neuropathies. Lancet Neurology. 2014;13:67.
- Zand L, et al. Treatment of ANCA-associated vasculitis: New therapies and a look at old entities. Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease. 2014;21:182.
- Holle JU, et al. Clinical manifestations and treatment of Wegener's granulomatosis. Rheumatologic Disease Clinics of North America. 2010;36:507.
- Clain JM, et al. Experience with rituximab in the treatment of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody associated vasculitis. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease. 2014;6:58.
- Trimarchi Mt, et al. Otorhinolaryngological manifestations in granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). Autoimmunity Reviews. 2013;12:501.
- Springer J, et al. Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's): Impact of maintenance therapy duration. Medicine. 2014;93:82.
Granulomatosis with polyangiitis