Golfer's elbow is characterized by:
- Pain and tenderness on the inner side of your elbow. Sometimes the pain extends along the inner side of your forearm.
- Stiffness. Your elbow may feel stiff, and it may hurt to make a fist.
- Weakness. You may have weakness in your hands and wrists.
- Numbness or tingling. Many people with golfer's elbow experience numbness or a tingling sensation that radiates into one or more fingers — usually the ring and little fingers.
The pain of golfer's elbow may appear suddenly or gradually. The pain may get worse when you:
- Swing a golf club or racket
- Squeeze or pitch a ball
- Shake hands
- Turn a doorknob
- Lift weights
- Pick up something with your palm down
- Flex your wrist
When to see a doctor
Consult your doctor if rest, ice and over-the-counter pain relievers don't ease your elbow pain and tenderness. Seek immediate care if:
Oct. 09, 2012
- Your elbow is hot and inflamed and you have a fever
- You can't bend your elbow
- Your elbow looks deformed
- You suspect you've broken a bone
- Jayanthi N. Epicondylitis (tennis and golf elbow). http://www.uptodate.com/ index. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Longo DL, et al, eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Van Hofwegen C, et al. Epicondylitis in the athlete's elbow. Clinics in Sports Medicine. 2010;29:577.
- McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. 51st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Shiri R, et al. Lateral and medial epicondylitis: Role of occupational factors. Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology. 2011;25:43.
- Walker-Bone K, et al. Occupation and epicondylitis: A population-based study. Rheumatology. 2012;51:305
- Walz DM, et al. Epicondylitis: Pathogenesis, imaging, and treatment. RadioGraphics. 2010;30:167.
- Laskowski ER (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 28, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.