Lifestyle and home remedies
If your goiter is caused by your diet, these suggestions can help:
Get enough iodine. To ensure that you get enough iodine, use iodized salt or eat seafood or seaweed — sushi is a good seaweed source — about twice a week. Shrimp and other shellfish are particularly high in iodine. If you live near the coast, locally grown fruits and vegetables are likely to contain some iodine, too, as are cow's milk and yogurt.
Everyone needs about 150 micrograms of iodine a day (the amount in slightly less than half a teaspoon of iodized salt). But adequate amounts are especially important for pregnant and lactating women and for infants and children.
- Avoid excess iodine consumption. Although it's uncommon, getting too much iodine sometimes leads to a goiter. If excess iodine is a problem, avoid iodine-fortified salt, shellfish, seaweed and iodine supplements.
Nov. 09, 2016
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Thyroid. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 4, 2016.
- Flint PW, et al. Disorders of the thyroid gland. In: Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 4, 2016.
- Medeiros-Neto G, et al. Iodine-deficiency disorders. In: Endocrinology: Adult and Pediatric. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 4, 2016.
- Goiter. American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/what-is-a-goiter/. Accessed Oct. 4, 2016.
- Goiter. Hormone Health Network. http://www.hormone.org/questions-and-answers/2013/goiter. Accessed Oct. 4, 2016.
- Iodine deficiency. American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/iodine-deficiency/. Accessed Oct. 4, 2016.
- Simple nontoxic goiter (euthyroid goiter). Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine-and-metabolic-disorders/thyroid-disorders/simple-nontoxic-goiter. Accessed Oct. 4, 2016.
- Walsh JP. Managing thyroid disease in general practice. Medical Journal of Australia. 2016;205:179.
- Townsend CM Jr, et al. Endocrine. In: Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 6, 2016.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 26, 2016.