Small goiters that don't cause physical or cosmetic problems aren't a concern. But large goiters can make it hard to breathe or swallow and can cause a cough and hoarseness. Goiters that result from other conditions, such as hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, can be associated with a number of symptoms, ranging from fatigue and weight gain to unintended weight loss, irritability and trouble sleeping.
Jan. 02, 2014
- Goiter. American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/what-is-a-goiter/. Accessed Sept. 3, 2013.
- Medeiros-Neto G, et al. Thyroid disorders and diseases: Approach to and treatment of goiters. Medical Clinics of North America. 2012;96:351.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 3, 2013.
- Goiter. The Hormone Foundation. http://www.hormone.org/questions-and-answers/2013/goiter. Accessed Sept. 3, 2013.
- Brunton LL, et al. Goodman & Gilman's the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 12th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=28. Accessed Sept. 4, 2013.
- Simple nontoxic goiter (euthyroid goiter). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/thyroid_disorders/simple_nontoxic_goiter.html. Accessed Sept. 4, 2013.
- Alexander EK, et al. Case 19-2013: A 35-year-old woman with recurrent goiter and ductal carcinoma of the breast. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;368:2416.
- Iodine deficiency. American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/iodine-deficiency/. Accessed Sep. 4, 2013.
- Nippoldt TN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 23, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.