Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic Staff
When you receive a diagnosis of glaucoma, you're facing lifelong treatment, regular checkups and the possibility of progressive vision loss.
Meeting and talking with other people with glaucoma can be very helpful, and many support groups exist. Check with hospitals and eye care centers in your area to find local groups and meeting times. Several online resources, including support groups, are available.
Sept. 15, 2015
- AskMayoExpert. Glaucoma. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Glaucoma (pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Glaucoma. American Optometric Association. www.aoa.org/Glaucoma.xml. Accessed July 23, 2015.
- Glaucoma. Merck Manuals Professional Version. www.merckmanuals.com/professional/SearchResults?query=glaucoma. Accessed July 23, 2015.
- Information for healthy vision. National Eye Institute. https://nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyehealthtips. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Weinreb RN, et al. The pathophysiology and treatment of glaucoma: A review. JAMA. 2014;311:1901. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 22, 2015.
- SooHoo JR, et al. Minimally invasive glaucoma surgery: Current implants and future innovations. Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology. 2014;49:528.
- Lazzaro EC, et al. The effect of positional changes on intraocular pressure during sleep in patients with and without glaucoma. Journal of Glaucoma. 2014;23:282.
- Yanoff M, et al., eds. Which therapy to use in glaucoma? In: Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com.
- Vajaranant TS, et al. Risk of glaucoma after early bilateral oophorectomy. Menopause. 2014;21:391.
- Malihi M, et al. Long-term trends in glaucoma-related blindness in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Ophthalmology. 2014;121:134.
- Facts about glaucoma. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/glaucoma/glaucoma_facts.asp. Accessed July 23, 2015.
- Bower TN, et al. Canadian ophthalmologists' opinions concerning complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use in glaucoma. Journal of Glaucoma. 2014;23:430.
- Sit AJ. Evaluation and adoption of new technology in glaucoma surgery. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2014;157:263.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology. Preferred practice pattern: Primary open-angle glaucoma summary benchmark; 2014. http://www.aao.org/summary-benchmark-detail/primary-openangle-glaucoma-summary-benchmark--octo. Accessed July 27, 2015.
- Alpha-linolenic acid. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. www.naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Glaucoma: Screening. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force; 2013. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspsglau.htm. Accessed July 27, 2015.
- Medication guide. Glaucoma Research Foundation. http://www.glaucoma.org/treatment/medication-guide.php. Accessed July 23, 2015.
- Alternative medicine. Glaucoma Research Foundation. http://www.glaucoma.org/treatment/alternative-medicine.php. Accessed July 23, 2015.
- Waisbourd M, et al. Selective laser trabeculoplasty as a first-line therapy: A review. Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology. 2014;49:519.
- Does marijuana help treat glaucoma? American Academy of Ophthalmology. www.geteyesmart.org. Accessed April 24, 2015.
- Drug monograph: Marijuana, medical. Gold Standard. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 23, 2015.
- Volkow ND, et al. Adverse health effects of marijuana use. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;370:2219.
- Glaucoma. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed July 22, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Glaucoma, open-angle. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 23, 2015.
- Lumigan. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm?fuseaction=Search.Label_ApprovalHistory. Accessed Aug. 24, 2015.