The low level of the bilirubin-processing enzyme that causes Gilbert's syndrome may also increase the side effects of certain medications, since this enzyme plays a role in helping clear these medications from your body.
These medications include:
- Irinotecan (Camptosar), a cancer chemotherapy drug
- Some protease inhibitors used to treat HIV
If you have Gilbert's syndrome, talk to your doctor before taking new medications. Also, having certain types of Gilbert's syndrome may increase your risk of developing gallstones.
July 02, 2015
- Chowdhury JR, et al. Gilbert's syndrome and unconjugated hyperbilirubinemia due to bilirubin overproduction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2015.
- Gilbert syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/gilbert-syndrome. Accessed March 11, 2015.
- Gilbert syndrome. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/info/gilbertsyndrome/. Accessed March 11, 2015.
- Wittenberg H. Hereditary liver disease: Gallstones. Best Practice & Research Clinical Gastroenterology. 2010;24:747.