Giant cell arteritis is an inflammation of the lining of your arteries. Most often, it affects the arteries in your head, especially those in your temples. For this reason, giant cell arteritis is sometimes called temporal arteritis.
Giant cell arteritis frequently causes headaches, scalp tenderness, jaw pain and vision problems. If left untreated, it can lead to stroke or blindness.
Prompt treatment with corticosteroid medications usually relieves symptoms of giant cell arteritis and may prevent loss of vision. You'll likely begin to feel better within days of starting treatment. But even with treatment, relapses are common.
You'll need to visit your doctor regularly for checkups and treatment of any side effects from taking corticosteroids.
Oct. 02, 2015
- Borchers AT, et al. Giant cell arteritis: A review of classification, pathophysiology, geoepidemiology and treatment. Autoimmunity Reviews. 2012;11:A544.
- Giant cell arteritis. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient-Caregiver/Diseases-Conditions/Giant-Cell-Arteritis. Accessed Aug. 24, 2015.
- Mukhtyar C, et al. EULAR recommendations for the management of large vessel vasculitis. Annals of Rheumatic Diseases. 2009;68:318. http://ard.bmj.com. Accessed Aug. 24, 2015.
- Unizony S, et al. Inpatient complications in patients with giant cell arteritis: Decreased mortality and increased risk of thromboembolism, delirium and adrenal insufficiency. Rheumatology. 2015;54:1360.
- Weyand CM, et al. Giant-cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;371:50.
- Smith JH, et al. Giant cell arteritis. Headache. 2014;54:1273.
- Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Polymyalgia/default.asp. Accessed Aug. 24, 2015.
- Kermani TA, et al. Disease relapses among patients with giant cell arteritis: A prospective, longitudinal cohort study. Journal of Rheumatology. 2015;42:7.
- Singh AG, et al. Visual manifestations in giant cell arteritis: Trend over 5 decades in a population-based cohort. Journal of Rheumatology. 2015;42:2.
- Osteoporosis: Handout on health. NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Osteoporosis/osteoporosis_hoh.asp. Accessed Aug. 25, 2015.
- Mollan SP, et al. Aspirin as adjunctive treatment for giant cell arteritis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.16.Ob/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed Aug. 25, 2015.
- Chang-Miller A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. Sept. 3, 2015.