GERD signs and symptoms include:
- A burning sensation in your chest (heartburn), sometimes spreading to the throat, along with a sour taste in your mouth
- Chest pain
- Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
- Dry cough
- Hoarseness or sore throat
- Regurgitation of food or sour liquid (acid reflux)
- Sensation of a lump in the throat
When to see a doctor
Seek immediate medical attention if you experience chest pain, especially when accompanied by other signs and symptoms, such as shortness of breath or jaw or arm pain. These may be signs and symptoms of a heart attack.
Make an appointment with your doctor if you experience severe or frequent GERD symptoms. If you take over-the-counter medications for heartburn more than twice per week, see your doctor
Apr. 13, 2012
- Ferri FF. Gastroesophageal reflux disease. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment.Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Kahrilas PJ. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of gastroesophageal reflux in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Kahrilas PJ. Medical management of gastroesophageal reflux disease in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Michelfelder AJ, et al. Integrative medicine and gastrointestinal disease. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:255.
- Kiefer D. Gastroesophageal reflux disease. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Achem SR. Noncardiac chest pain — Treatment approaches. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2008;37:859.
- Oranu AC, et al. Noncardiac chest pain: Gastroesophageal reflux disease. Medical Clinics of North America. 2010;94:233.
- Kahrilas PJ, et al. American Gastroenterological Association medical position statement on the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Gastroenterology. 2008;135:1383.
- Fennerty MB, et al. Short- and long-term management of heartburn and other acid-related disorders: Development of an algorithm for primary care providers. The Journal of Family Practice. 2009;58:S1.
- Weight management. U. S. Department of Agriculture. http://www.nutrition.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=11&tax_level=3&tax_subject=390&topic_id=1741&level3_id=6295&level4_id=0&level5_id=0&placement_default=0. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 24, 2011.
- Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication. http://www.endogastricsolutions.com/esophyx_overview.htm. Accessed March 26, 2012.
- Bonavina L, et al. Laparoscopic sphincter augmentation device eliminates reflux symptoms and normalizes esophageal acid exposure: one- and 2-year results of a feasibility trial. Annals of Surgery. 2010; 252: 857.