If you're concerned about the appearance of your tongue, make an appointment with your dentist.
What you can do
Prepare questions ahead of time to make the most of your appointment. Basic questions to ask include:
- What's the likely cause of my condition?
- Could there be any other possible causes?
- Is my condition permanent?
- What treatments are available?
- Is there anything I can do at home to relieve discomfort?
- What should I do if my condition flares up again?
What to expect from your doctor
Be prepared to answer the following questions:
- When did the lesions first appear?
- Have the lesions changed in appearance or location on your tongue?
- Have you had any other lesions in your mouth?
- Have you experienced any discomfort or pain?
- Does anything, such as spicy or acidic food, seem to trigger pain?
- Have you had any other symptoms that may seem unrelated to the condition of your tongue?
- Have you had a fever?